Sunday, March 24, 2013

Better Together

I have had the great honor and opportunity to travel over the last 2 years and speak at different places. Mostly because of relationships and networking. In the process, God has taught me the valuable lesson of not only networking, but networking to build HIS Kingdom and not just MY church. 
Last weekend, I was grateful to travel to Mountain Home, Arkansas and preach to a 2 year old church; Real Life. They are also in our Association. Here's a church that has seen supernatural growth in just 2 years running 2 services. It was amazing to see what God is doing in other churches and get to experience it first hand. Four people gave their lives to Christ! Not only is this church not even two years old yet, but this church also helps fund Generation Church. How cool is that? A new church that sees the value in Kingdom building and giving back. 
My family and I also were honored to worship with Genesis Church the Saturday night before. Pastor Jeff Smith, my church planting coach, leads this congregation of nearly 900 people...and they are just over 3 years old! They also have financially supported us and are a part of our Association. Through these churches and pastors, I have had the opportunity to meet and be blessed by other pastors and leaders. All of them have taught me the value of working together and giving back; living open handed not only as an individual but as a church.

This week, God showed me more than ever the value, favor, and humility that follows generosity and networking. When an individual business owner who attends one of our partner churches sent us a check for our "All In" offering. Here is what the letter said:

"God always works in mysterious ways. I think it was Tuesday or Wednesday morning (donor) says 'I want to send $20,000 to Generation Church.' And walks out of the room! I only say this because experience says someone was probably fasting and/or praying. God answered it quickly, it just took me a few days to get the time and chance to send it out.

We are so excited to hear the number of people who get to hear the Word each week, through you! It's humbling that God uses us, isn't it?"

That was not a typo...$20,000....I wept. What's amazing is that as a church, in our original budget for 2013, we had planned on giving away around $20,000. Tell me God isn't faithful when we practice generosity! Today in our "All In" offering, we totaled $43,838.89!!!! OUR LOAN DEBT IS PAID! We have prayed since December for today's offering to be enough to pay our start up costs off of over $41,000. Church, we did it! And I can tell you this, we will ALWAYS give back to the Kingdom!

Here is what I wish every church leader would know:

1. It's Not About You

At the end of the day, we all play a small part of the big picture. The sooner we stop trying to build our own Kingdom, the faster we grow God's.

2. We Are Better Together

Many churches prefer being "loners" and it's really sad. What could the local church do if all denominations, churches, and leaders would stop fighting each other and actually work together? The results would be catastrophic for the devil's kingdom! But too many leaders are caught up in egos, insecurities, tradition, pride, and personal vision. Even the Son of God had friends. So glad God has blessed me with friends in the ministry.

3. Teach Your Church to Live Generously

The reason why people don't give in most churches is because the leader never teaches on it or displays it in their own life. I pray that God always reminds me and my family to lead the way in generosity. I want our church culture to be one that celebrates Kingdom successes and not just our own. God can not, and will not, put blessings into closed fists. So open those hands and be in awe of God's favor. 

God's favor always follows faithfulness. Church, let us be grateful, humble, and intentional with the blessings God has given us. This is only the beginning. For the best is truly yet to come. Not just for us, but for all of those who strive to build God's Kingdom. Now that we've completed that phase, let's continue toward the mission God has for us. Invite someone to one of our 5 Easter services: Saturday at 4:00 & 6:00pm or Sunday at 8:30, 10:00, or 11:30am. I can NOT wait to see what's in store for Generation Church!

No comments:

Post a Comment